Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How to get TOGAF 9 Certified?

In May 2012, I got TOGAF 9 Certified.  Since then, I have been asked by many people on how to get certified.  There could be easier ways... I write here the process I followed that helped me to succeed with a neat 85% score.

TOGAF 9 Certification is provided based on Knowledge based exam.  No pre-requisite.  All you need to do is to study the TOGAF 9 Standards in depth, do some practice tests and then take the exam.

To become TOGAF 9 Certified, you need to take 2 exams.  TOGAF 9 Foundation (Part 1) and TOGAF 9 Certification (Part 2) exams.   If you pass Part 1 alone, you'll be given "TOGAF 9 Foundation" recognition. If you pass both Part 1 and 2, you'll be TOGAF 9 Certified.  It is NOT worth studying for Part 1 alone as the effort needed for Part 2 is just a little more.  The exam fees is also lesser if you take both the parts together.

Part 1 has 40 questions and Part 2 has 8 questions.  Part 1 tests the TOGAF "Book Knowledge" and Part 2 tests the TOGAF "Applied Knowledge".  Part 2 is scenario based questions.  All questions in Part 1 & 2 are in multiple choice format.  Part 1 requires 55% pass mark and part 2 requires 60%.  The exam questions are not hard at all.  Part 2 allows open book, but that won't help much in answering those scenario based questions.  The timing given  (Part 1 is 1 hour and Part 2 is 1:30 hours independently) is comfortable.   I finished each of the parts 30 min earlier in spite of taking ample time on each question.

Accredited TOGAF 9 Training Courses are provided by training institutes.  They charge around Rs. 80,000 (approx USD 1500 for the course fee and exam voucher).  The institutes usually conduct 5 day courses and provide examination vouchers.  I found this route very expensive and wastes annual leave.  So, decided on Self Study.  

Self study route costs about Rs. 3500 (USD 60) for the study materials and Rs. 28,000 (USD 495) for the exam fees.

Self Study guides can be purchased from The Open Group site  https://www2.opengroup.org/ogsys/jsp/publications/PublicationDetails.jsp?catalogno=b097.  Self Study Guide is a package of Practice Tests, Information Sheets, Reference Cards and the Self Study guide books.  The Practice Test questions in self study package are exactly like the real exam.  If you pass in those practice tests, there is a high chance of passing the real certification exam also.  

Studying for the exam wasn't hard.  But, it took significant effort to study the TOGAF 9 way of Architecture Processes.  I did preparation for about three weeks, 3 hours per day, totaling about 50 hours of preparation. Having some experience in Enterprise Architecture will  help to grasp the TOGAF 9 contents easier.

As for as TOGAF 9 benefits for an Individual is concerned,  the architecture work you may do will become more structured. The Certification logo in your resume will make it louder for the good.  

TOGAF is about Architecture Processes.  It certainly helps Enterprises to have a structure for Architecture Governance and gain the benefits of it.  It does not talk about making the technical architecture of enterprise applications better. 



This is the first test I have taken in Prometric test centers.  Just registered the previous day and appeared for the exam, the next day.  As soon as you finish, the score appears on the computer screen.  The exam center also provided a printed sheet indicating the score.   4 days later, e-mail notification came from opengroup.  By following processes mentioned in that e-mail, the TOGAF 9 certification got verified and names appear in the TOGAF 9 Certified people directory  http://www.opengroup.org/togaf9/cert/cert_archlist-short.tpl. It is optional to get your name published there.

The Open Group site has clear and comprehensive details.  You can start with this link http://www.opengroup.org/togaf9/cert/docs/indiv.tpl   to get the latest details as some of the information given here might change / age.  

(to make it all sound legally correct, should I state my disclaimer that I'm not responsible for any loss/gain you may face by reading the above information???  )


Many ask for the study material from me in comments below!!  It is so easy to purchase online.  I mentioned above the link for it.  Here again https://www2.opengroup.org/ogsys/jsp/publications/PublicationDetails.jsp?catalogno=b097

16 comments:

  1. Hi Vimala,
    I built a test engine to test TOGAF 9 knowledge . This could be useful for some looking for free togaf 9 resources.

    Theopenarch.com

    Good luck,

    Manuel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Manuel for sharing the link. The simulation test is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Respected Vimala, Can you please guide me to complete part 2. I have completed part 1.I am doing self study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This info is quite helpful!

    Thanks,
    Vijay S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    This was quite helpful info.
    I would like to get more info on this, is it possible for you to share your e-mail id.
    As I am planning to take this certification by Self Study route.

    Regards,
    Jaishree D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Vimala - Thank you for this blog. Could you please tell me if we need to read the "Recommeded Readings" at the end of each chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read the "Recommended Readings" at all :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this blog. I am about to start TOGAF9 any study material reference will be great help. Can you please share your email id?
    Thanks in Advance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vimala,

    Thanks for the email, it was nicely articulated, can you please share your email id.

    jswaroop9@gmail.com

    Thanks
    Swaroop

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the comments. For those who have asked for my e-mail, please post your questions here itself and I'll provide the details if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vimala,

    I have completed TOGAF certification both foundation and certification levels, really your blog inspired and helped me to complete the certifications. Thanks a lot!


    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you madam for this blog . Can you please share with me the study materials you got for this preparation . It would be of great hepl for me . My Mail id is comedyindiansa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your valuable time in sharing useful info!!

    --Sunil

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi

    Thanks for your great post. I am looking for V9.1 study material. I don't see any specific study pack for V9.1. Can you please suggest.

    Regards

    Ven

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am looking for study materail for v9.1. Can you please e-mail me at anitatadhani@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete